Description of the municipality
The River Tuerto crosses the municipality and shows a landscape of regular relief: a gentle slope along the river, wide plains covered with cereal fields and a few hills that are usually deforested.
Both Cañas and Canillas de Río Tuerto were granted to the Bernardas nuns in 1170.
The most representative elements of the town are its monastery and the figure of Santo Domingo de Silos, who was born in the village.
Its population has fallen since 1950: in 1900 it had 227 inhabitants, falling to 321 in 1950. This figure fell even further by 1960: 284.
Nowadays it has around 130 inhabitants, with up to 200 in summer.
- Monasterio Cisterciense
- Iglesia de la Asunción
- Ermita de Santa María
- Figura de Santo Domingo de Silos